Introduction to Online Gaming
From first-person shooter to multiplayer online battle arena games, online gaming is popular around the world. People of all ages enjoy a variety of electronic games, which they can play even on their smartphones. Hence, it’s popular for entertainment on the go.
In a nutshell, online games are video games that you play either partially or fully on a computer network. While you can play online games alone, many will allow interaction with other players. As a result, it’s also a great way to communicate and socialize.
Video Game History
Today, video gaming is a billion-dollar global industry. Nonetheless, it wasn’t always that big. In the 1950s, computers are too large and expensive. Hence, during the introduction of the first online games, not a lot of people could play them.
The first video game was OXO or tic-tac-toe. It was introduced by a British professor through his doctoral dissertation in 1952. Consequently, Tennis for Two came to life in 1958. Meanwhile, Spacewar, a space combat computer game, was invented in 1962.
Here’s a quick look at some of the most important developments in the history of global gaming:
- 1972: Introduction of the world’s first video game home console
- 1975: Release of Pong, an Atari arcade game
- 1977: Commercial release of Atari 2600, a video game console with a joystick and interchangeable cartridges
- 1983: Crash of the North American video game market
- 1989: Nintendo’s introduction of handheld gaming devices and the start of the console war
- 1995: Start of the rise of 3D gaming
- 2005: Start of high-definition gaming
Most Popular Online Games
Millions of people around the world are playing online games. Children, teens, and adults are enjoying an array of titles from reputable global developers. Among others, the most popular is Player’s Unknown Battleground from PUBG Corporation.
More so, the second most popular online game is Minecraft by Mojang Studios. It has more than 95 million online players. One of the reasons for its popularity is the absence of rules. Hence, you can create as you wish.
Third on the list is Apex Legends from Respawn Entertainment. It’s a battlefield game with three players on each squad. Players need to scavenge and fight others for survival.
Types of the Games
Online games can vary depending on their gameplay, platform, and rules. Whether you want to play alone or as a group, you can choose from many online games. Here’s a list of some of the most popular types:
- Arcade Games: It’s one of the oldest types of online games and is perfect for people of all ages. Speed is a crucial requirement of the game. Hence, you must think and decide fast.
- Cross-Platform: Different gaming platforms share the same online servers. As such, other players can join, regardless of the platform they’re using.
- Life Simulation: A sub-genre of simulation games, the goal is to control the life of a virtual character.
- Massive Multiplayer: It allows you to connect to players from other countries. Hence, it’s a great way to compete with people instead of machines.
- Online Casino: Slots are the most popular online casino games. Meanwhile, many are also offering table games, including those with live dealers.
Free Online Games
Online games don’t have to be costly. Some people think they need expensive consoles and buy titles to play games. Nonetheless, you’ll find a selection of free online games, which are equally entertaining and challenging as their paid counterparts.
Some of the best free online games you might want to try include Crystal Collapse, Family Feud, and Mahjong Solitaire. They are accessible in different browsers, so you can play anytime, and anywhere there is an internet connection.